Friday, June 12, 2009

Thats why its fishing not catching - on the quest for big tench




I had no late night, early morning meetings planned this week in Basingstoke/Guildford so I decided to take my gear and hit Wylies lake in Thatcham for 3 short sessions to go for the big tench - the target to try and beat my average of a single catch and also my pb of 7.15oz.
The aim was to try and fish the same peg for the 3 sessions using two lines, one method feeder on alarm at 25 yrds were the fish show quite often, the second to floatfish in the margins to the right.
Bait would be bacon grill/halibut pellet on the method and bacon grill / bunch of red mags/casters on the float which will be fished slider style with a stop not marking the depth (which is around 10ft+) - I expected to get near 9 hrs fishing over the 3 sessions.

Session 1 : Tues evening - weather was part cloudy but the sun was shining - activity on the water was at a minimum - I put out 6 balls of vitalin/pellett etc on the method and 6 pouches of hemp / meat/pellet on the float and then continually fed as and when.
Result : I had a few liners on the method rod with single bleeps, but on the float I had 3 bites, all on red maggs/caster cocktail - 1 though was more of a drag under and I believed this to be a liner. With the last bite I hit a small perch - which led me to believe the 1st one may not have been a tench - so for the rest of the session I put bacon grill back on but there was no further action.



Session 2 : Weds evening - decided it was more important than watching England so attacked the lake in the same way as the night before - it was slightly overcast and there was more fish topping - I had a more confident feeling.
Result : Liners on the method from the start - after 1 hour I had a double bleeper which I hit and missed / the bacon grill was gone - liners continued with a couple of" two bleepers" which I left to develop so didn’t hit - with 1 hour left the action hotted up - first the float buried on the meat - I hit into the fish - a definate tench but after a second the line went slack - lost the fish to a hook pull. This is when the method/alarm rod sprang to life with constant liners resulting in two good takes - not one toners but more than 2 bleeps - the feeding was tentative so I struck at everything I could - the first went at the same time as the float rod buried - which do I go to - the hestitation for a split second meant I missed both - damn…. Then second strikable run just before the end of the session was when my wife rang - and as I was talking the alarm screamed - a real bite - I lifted, wound the baitrunner off and struck…… but again nothing.
My thoughts at the end of the session was one of wasted opportunity - if they allowed fishing into dark I know I would have been on the fish but I am one for following rules…. Also to note that the hair rig on the method was around half an inch long… did I need to shorted this right up to the hook shank . Note fornext session!!!!

Session 3 : Thurs morning - weather was very bright not ideal at all - I changed the hair rig length and cast out same again.
Result : Liners on the method for the first 2 hrs but nothing on the float - just when the session was petering put bleep,bleep bleep - I hit into the run - but again nothing……..what is going on..
I examined my rig and then realised that maybe the takes were from the bream - with a long hair and a 10inch tail on the hooklink from the method feeder - maybe the tentative bream bites - they had time to such in and have a few inches to spit out giving only a slight indication - I should have shortened the hooklength!!!!
You live and learn - I need to do this in order to put fish on the bank

No comments:

Post a Comment