Monday, June 8, 2009

Blankleach vs Mancspurs

The Sunday morning weather had significantly improved from Saturday however I had found myself rising late from my pit and not getting to the bank until 6.15am. I still fancied my chances so out went a method on the alarm and a black cap feeder full of red maggots these went to both spots that were pre-baited. The 3rd rod was cast around the lake and had a bunch of worms and a 40g blackcap filled with red mags.





The lake looked good but I had not received any indications - the two lads opposite had taken a tench each on the float - but alas I had not had a snifff.
My dad made a cardinal sin - he left his feeder rod while he talked to a regular - he was only six foot away when the rod (my rod actually) was wrenched round at such a force that if his seat wasn’t in the way the rod/reel would have gone to a watery grave.
I managed to grab the rod but there was no tench - upon inspection he had a bite off - clearly cut just about the hook baited with 6 red mags - I have only ever heard of this with carp but I guess tench have pharyngeal teeth as well. He did miss another bite on red maggot but after 3 .5 biteless hours I went home to paint.




When I got home my misses didn’t want the mess of painting and furthermore wanted a quite afternoon which meant me out of the house - what luck,,.,,,
Off I went back to blackleach for a 4 hr session - same tactics and spots as the morning session 2 rods with meat/pellet/red maggots on the hook.
But no fish…..
I talked to the bailiff who glady took my £3 day ticket - he told me a couple of specimen guys had been on 2 pegs down from me a few days earlier and they had spent the best part of a week baiting up with gallons of bait prior to fishing - they had over 100lb of tench with the biggest 10.03oz - he said he had to tell them that keepnets were not allowed close season - that’s why he got to see the fish. That is very promising… but he then said a big pike had took a small terrier the week before……….what can you believe?
So all in all - maybe the fill it in approach is the way to get on the fish - maybe then lads beating me to this a few days earlier made my approach somewhat a little futile and I like all other anglers on the lake had a chance of the odd tench as they patrolled through - suffice to say my dad had that chance with the two bites.
Blankleach 3 Mike 0
But I will be back - I don’t know when I am beaten and I am desperate for a multiple catch and to beat my pb.

No comments:

Post a Comment