Thursday, June 4, 2009

Tenching & the North / South divide






















What is it about the North/South divide ?
In fishing terms its always claimed its far more productive in the South - my latest Blackleach challenge would provide testement to that!!!.



In the week I work in Basingstoke/Newbury - Newbury is a lovely place with lots to offer the angler.

I am a member of Reading DAA and focus my efforts for the tench at Wylies lake Thatcham(it borders Newbury) - it’s a mature and deep lake that fishes well in the margins. It holds the odd big carp, shoals of big bream and fishes well for silvers at certain times of the year. The Pic is of my dad at the lake waiting for action!!!

I think Wylies is to Newbury what Blackleach is to Salford - a difficult water that holds big tench - its never packed as most anglers only get the odd tench and want lots of fish, but for a wanabe specimen hunter its ideal.

Again my fishing is a few hours before and after work - so I would say I do 6-8hrs a week on this water - results? I normally get 1 fish a session and a few bites, the silvers don’t show until end of June onwards so I am confident its tench or carp/bream.
I usually fish 2 rods, a float and a method feeder, early season bread scores well but at the moment meat wins all hands down - I have included some pics of fish I have had to 6.4lb - but other anglers are getting them to 7.5lb - with many reporting upto 9lbers.

I wont move onto the rivers until July so that’s a few more weeks targeting a tench - my mission to beat my pb of 7ib 15oz.

Or cry trying!!!!
Mike










No comments:

Post a Comment