Wednesday, July 22, 2009

More Kennet fish

I did another session on the Kennet at Newbury town centre - 1.5hrs Tues night / 2 hrs Weds morning.
Tuesday night : 8.15pm to 9.45pm - fished with my dodgy telescopic rod/ 5lb line /size 14 animal and bread on the hook,
Second trot through and while I was mending the line and holding back the float a chub shot out of nowhere in 12 inches of water and nailed the bread. It ran me 20 yrds downtstream in an instant - my line wrapped around an overhanging tree - damn.. If I wanted the fish I had to free the line… so in I went nudging my way down the inside of the bank in 4inches of water and as much of mud…. I got to the tree, climbed on to it and freed the line then realised I needed the landing net!!!
I could get through via the bank so again bail arm off and a quick march meant I had the landing net… played the fish hard and got it in yesssssssssss… just soggy boots and nettle stings for my troubles.
A lovely chub of 3lb 6oz - spent 30 mins playing this fish while trying to get it out of the tree so I was relieved to see it in the net.
I managed a chublet and roach missing a few bites at other pegs - each peg definately holding some fish,
Weds morning - 5.45am to 7.45am - went to town centre swim, had loads of bites by chublets, dace and roach but my attack was for the bigger chub and as such the breadflake was too big…thus lots of plucks at the bread.
Moved to the swim next to the cafĂ©… within a minute I was holding onto a decent chub and then it went slack… the hook had come off (poorly tied - one I put on at last knockings the night before), a few casts later and I was in again - this time I saw the fish turn, a definate chub of a good size… it then got me snagged in the middle of the river (how does it shed the hook onto the nearest large sunken tree I don’t know) - I had to pull for a break - damn would have been a nice one to see,
I kept going and had a few bits - then I let it trot through to the end of the run and whack I was in… bit of a dull fight thought it was a snag and then….. no it’s a bream….



Got it in and it weighed 3lb 11oz - had a few roach chublets and perch on worm in other pegs,
All in all 12 fish - they may not be the big chub and barbel of further downstream but how can you complain when it free fishing!!!!.

No comments:

Post a Comment