Friday, May 15, 2009

Hello and Welcome to my Blogsite - as this is my first ever blog i thought i would tell you more about my fishing exploits and the kind of things to expect in the future.

I have fished since i was a kid but only took up the sport seriously since my early 30's (now 37) when i hung up my football boots.

I would describe myself as a wanabe specimen hunter (but i am not into carp at the moment anyway) - but as i only ever fish in 3-4 hour windows my chance of maximising my big fish catches is somewhat reduced - but god loves a trier.

And to compound things even more i tend to choose to fish more difficult waters - over the next few blogs i will share with you my experiences on some of the local waters in the Manchester area, Bridgewater Canal, Blackleach Res, Salford Quays, River Irwell.

As my job takes me around the UK from time to time i will also share my exploits from on the road - at present i am working around Newbury so i have a Reading DAA card.

I am not sure what drives me to get up a 4am - some say its the hunter gatherer instinct or maybe its the chess game of finding the right swin, tactics and bait or is it just a case of enjoying the surroundings in peace - or all of these.

I like to fish on the float, feeder and alarms but not really tried fly fishing - i would say lure fishing has definately grown on me over the last six months and a few hours after pike/perch has certainly been a plus point on the Kennet & Avon Canal where i have had perch to 3lb.

I am certainly not an expert - but always in search of more knowledge and i dont mind working for it.

My PB list is nothing special and i certainly dont empty places - i guess i have had "normal" results but the search for red letter days drives me on but my enthusiasm outways my ability (or luck).

This drives me on to get out of bed and brave the rain, wind and cold - in search of the golden nugget.

I look forward to blogging and i am happy to share tips etc (even if it is via personal email).

Mancspurs

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your blog - am looking forwards to finally seeing how to catch on Blackleach !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mancspurs,

    Thanks for sharing your experience and will look forward to your future blogs, I too have fished the same waters you have.

    My best and worst experience was on Bridgewater Canal. I had the longest fight ever with a huge pike but as it snapped me near the bank, I ended up in the canal with it??
    What a nightmare, I was the laughing stock and needless to say I have never fished there again!

    Post you next blog soon,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi MancSpurs, i have read you Blog with great interest, i also a in a similar situation but i find it hard to get out with the Mrs. nagging, my personal best is pretty much the same as yours but i am not as committed as you. the bridgewater canal is not too far from me so i dont have to get up as early as you. the best experience is when i caught a gudgen, it provided the best fight ever and even nearly dragged me off the bank, i must say that i did land the fish and it weighed in at about 2 oz. well tight lines my freind and best of luck finding the nugget.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi mancspurs, my name is mark and im from clifton in swinton, but im originally from eccles, right near the bridgewater canal, iv fished the canal since i was a small boy so i know it very well, having caught decent fish of all types from there....it seems you are having trouble catching any pike from that canal,i can help you here, if you need any info as to ares and tactics then just reply.....as for the irwell, iv had quite a few pike from there too, ok, the biggest was just over 10lb, but iv had quite a few and rarely blank

    if you need my email address then try and reply

    ReplyDelete